Tuesday, March 6, 2012

LAUGHOLOGY: A REVIEW




Like many of you, I was aware that for the very first time, a full-length documentary about laughter was coming out.  Some laughter clubs around the country even got organized enough to host screenings of Laughology their community. It got most everyone excited and there was considerable buzz in the laughter yoga community.

Well, I have finally seen the film myself. It inspired me to post a review here because I'm terribly enthusiastic about it. I mean, I expected Laughology to be good. But I was wrong. It was GREAT. Exceptionally great!

Canadian journalist and filmmaker, Albert Nerenberg, frames the journey of this film with his own story. Like so many others, he had "lost his laugh" by becoming a serious adult leading a stressful life. In a desperate attempt to rediscover his inner joy, he explores the many ways in which laughter is therapeutic. Along the way, he highlights important figures in this field including Dr. Robert Provine, Norman Cousins, Dr. Madan Kataria, and Doug Collins—the man with the world's most contagious laugh (if you are not one of the 23 million people who has already seen his runaway YouTube hit, click here to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Y4keqTV6w). 

Nerenberg travels to a number places around the globe and even goes to Africa to investigate the laughter epidemic that happened in Tanzania in the 1960s. This is a particularly fascinating piece.

Laughology is intelligent, informative, entertaining and hilarious. Interspersed throughout the film are great clips of people laughing contagiously, which makes it such fun to watch. Nerenberg plays the straight man so well by not laughing in the presence of laughing people. This, too, is funny. 

I’ve finally shown it to my laughter club and the members loved it. They were falling out of their chairs watching it! I highly recommend Laughology. I'll be showing it at all my laughter yoga seminars from now on. 

Go to the Laughology site to watch the trailer and download it instantly. It is also available at Amazon.com. Click the image below to go there.


No comments: